Well, OK, it's one of my due dates.... either today or Monday, depending on which way you calculate these things. :)
And I am ready. Not because I am uncomfortable or exhausted (even though both of which are true) but because I am just so ready to meet this new little person! This time around has been such a different pregnancy for me. I am truly tuned in to my body and this baby like no other time before. I have done so much reading on "pregnancy and birth" -- in the natural sense this time -- and it truly amazes me what the human body is capable of doing, and does so perfectly in most instances when left alone.
I just wanted to share some of the stuff I've learned during this pregnancy that I find absolutely amazing. I do believe I have turned into a birth junkie! :)
Did you know that the placenta holds 1/3 of the baby's blood volume at birth? When we cut and clamp the cord before it stops pulsing - before it stops pumping all that blood back into the baby - babies are left without a huge portion of their blood cells! YIKES! If we had 1/3 of our blood volume removed, I'm not so sure we would be feeling the greatest. After birth, there are valves in the placenta that basically "shut off" in one direction to prevent blood from flowing back into the placenta and once the blood is all pumped back into baby, the cord will stop pulsing and we know that baby got all the goodies it needs!
Did you know that babies have a natural reflex (that is still present at birth) where if you put pressure on their feet, they will push back? So, when the top of the uterus contracts downward, it puts pressure on baby's feet (assuming baby is head-down!) and thus babies actually HELP move themselves down into the pelvis during labor?
Did you know that babies are born with decreased amounts of vitamin K (a substance that aids the blood in clotting)? Now, the medical community will tell you that this must be "fixed" and we should all inject our newborns with vitamin K to get their levels where they "should be". But maybe there's more to this than we realize? I don't believe that God screwed up and "forgot" to give babies the adequate amount vitamin K. Maybe there's a REASON that babies have lower amounts of vitamin K that we just don't understand yet?
Did you know that babies who are born to un-medicated mothers, when put on mama's belly after birth will literally "crawl" up the mother's body to find the nipple to start nursing - completely unassisted? How amazing is that?!?!
There is just so much I've learned about this amazing process called pregnancy and I just can't get over how perfectly we were made. Everything, EVERYTHING, has a purpose and now, knowing what I know, I just can't wait to meet this perfectly made little human being!
It is sad that it has taken me 5 babies to figure all this out, but I am so thankful for these last 40 weeks with this little one. He has already taught me so much, I only hope I can teach him half of what he has taught me.
Come earthside soon Little One! Mama can't wait to hold you!
Happy Due Date (weekend?) :) I was so amazed by those things too when I learned about everything. I feel like after I looked into more natural methods of birthing..that's when I felt so much more empowered in realizing what my body can actually do! (vs thinking of birthing like "Baby Story" portrays it..screaming women who are scared and desperate for the drugs! haha Baby Story makes us think we can't do it peacefully) Anyway..I think of you every day and am so looking forward to hearing your story with this little guy! And no matter which way birth happens...it is a BEAUTIFUL thing :)
ReplyDeleteLove ya, Gina