Friday, March 25, 2011

Sharing Time and Other Beefs

Can I be honest with all of you for just a second?

I REALLY, REALLY hate "Sharing Time" at school. Like, REALLY hate it.

I know my animosity towards it comes from the fact that I'm so lousy at remembering it, but still.

Every single Friday, Emily is supposed to bring in something for Sharing Time and it is supposed to start with the letter that they have been studying that week. (Thankfully Samantha's teacher has decided that 1st grade is old enough to forgo sharing time.)  I have tried so hard to remember Sharing Time: I have marked it on the calendar, I leave little notes, I have even encouraged Emily to remind Mommy.

And yet another Friday is here and poor Emily is without a Sharing Time object today AGAIN. Not only does this make the mom feel like a complete failure, but imagine poor Emily week after week after week.

Week 1:
Teacher: "Emily, what did you bring for sharing time today?"
Emily: "Nothing. My mom forgot."

Week 2:
Teacher: "Emily, what did you bring for sharing time today?"
Emily: "Nothing. My mom forgot. Again."

Week 3:
Teacher: "Emily, did you bring anything for sharing time today?"
Emily: "Nope. My mom forgot. Again."

Week 4:
Teacher: "Does anyone have an extra Sharing Time item for Emily to borrow? Her mom forgot again."

Can't we make Sharing Time morph into "Found Object Time"?  Like, "OK everybody, look around the room and find something that starts with the letter we have been studying this week."

Yes, I think Found Object Time would be much better for all involved. Except maybe the teacher whose room would get ransacked each week. Hmmm....

On a slightly unrelated note, I'm going to really go out on a limb here and share with you another beef of mine: Snack Time. In past years, the kids all brought in boxes of snacks at the beginning of the year - or throughout the year as supplies dwindled - and everyone shared the same snack.

Apparently in first grade you don't share anymore. You are to bring in your own snack.... EVERY morning. Do you want to take a guess at how many times yours truly has neglected to send Sam in with a snack? You would think it would be a simple enough thing to remember since I pack the girls' lunches every day, but for whatever reason, Snack Time is furthest from my mind at 0700.

I wonder what the teacher would say if I sent Samantha in with a grocery bag full of boxed crackers, pretzels and graham sticks for her to eat at her leisure. "Just tuck it in your desk there, sweetie!"

Sigh.

On a positive note, I have not once forgotten to send the girls with an extra pair of shoes this winter!! Yay me! (Last year, I forgot a couple many times and Samantha had to walk around in her boots all day.) I do believe this is what we call an improvement!

So maybe next year, I will finally get the Snack and Sharing Time thing down. Baby steps my friends. Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!!