Thursday, March 24, 2011

No, You May Not Have a DS.

My 3 oldest kids have been BEGGING for DSs since last fall. It all started when the girls saw their friends on the school bus playing these hand-held gaming systems on the way home from school.

"But Mom, everyone in my class has one!"
"They're so cool Mom!"
"I will take really good care of it and promise not to play it all the time!"

The pleas have gone on and on. As the kids are still all 7 and under, we just don't feel that buying them such a toy is necessary, not to mention the cost!

So, my kids, being the creative little master minds that children so often are, made their own DSs - out of paper! They drew and cut them out, folded them in half and then colored in buttons, toggles and a screen. They even made the "pen" and charger cords to go with them.

For literally hours on end, they will play with their new DSs. They "play games", use the "camera" feature to take pictures of each other, "download" more games and "play music".  It is amazing how imaginative their little brains can be.

And all because Ryan and I said "No" to buying them real ones. Ha! What a novel parenting technique! I wonder if it will work when they are 16 and wanting cars??

3 comments:

  1. okay, you can know where my mind was when say that I say "No You Cannot Have a DS" and I thought...she's telling someone they can't have a Dear Son? interesting.

    Then I realized you were talking about Nintendo DS. LOL. That is very cool what your kids did! Love it.

    Probably won't work that way when they are 16...but you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Congrats to you for staying strong on this one. I am im complete agreement. Had they gotten what they wanted they never would have come up with such a creative way to fulfill their wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"m not sure if making a "car" out of paper and "driving to the mall" to buy a new "shirt" would work quite so well in high school, but good luck with that! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!!