Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First Day of School!

So we made it! We have one day down and what, 179 to go? While I do dread the thought of doing this day after day for the next 9 months, I must say that the day went very well.

I dragged my behind out of bed first so I could make sure I was completely ready before the rest of the crew got in motion. I think that was the best thing I could have done. I was able to focus solely on the kids -- cleaning up messes, diverting sibling quibbling, re-directing nervous energy... I was able to run the whole morning like a well-oiled machine.

Until 7:30 rolled around and we had nothing left to do. Shoes were even on. And so we sat in the living room just watching the hands of the clock tick by. Then the "can we go yet?" started in, and Mason began running around the house creating a chain reaction, which made Ben get fidgety and spit up on my clothes. I started second guessing myself... wondering how we could possibly be ready ahead of time and what was I forgetting?

At 7:55, it was "go-time" and we all piled in to the van and headed to school. We waited with Samantha until the bell rang and then headed back home.... long enough for me to drop the boys with grandma and go BACK to school for orientation for Emily. And it turns out what I was forgetting was all of Emily's school supplies. Ah well.

All in all I think it was a good day. I just can't believe we have to do it all again tomorrow!!!

Here's a photo of the big kids. Poor Ben was in the house chillin' while I was trying to capture the moment! They were all so excited... even Mason!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!!