Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Damage Control

So it's been a while -- almost 4 weeks to be exact -- since I've posted last. Life is marching along swimmingly in terms of adjusting to life with a new baby. Please note that I use the term "swimmingly" very loosely... and in some instances, quite literally. (I shall explain later.)

I don't know how this could possibly be, but I had completely forgotten what happens to my household when we have a new baby. We immediately go from offense to defense. From proactive to reactive. From damage prevention to damage control.

Indeed, every time I sit down to nurse C, the other kids know it's a free-for-all for, oh, at least a good 10 minutes. The following is just a sampling of things that can be accomplished by small children in 10 minutes or less:

1. an entire FULL roll of toilet paper can be unwound and piled up on the bathroom floor.

2. two kitchen pans can be filled with water from the bathroom faucet, carried out to the kitchen table -- while only losing half of said water -- to be used for baptizing 2 small plastic dogs.

3. four bath towels, 4 flashlights and 57 stuffed animals can be brought out to the backyard to be used for "camping".

4. a 2-year old can completely cover his face, hands and arms with liquid soap under the pretense that it is lotion.

Of course these things make it sound like I have entirely no control over my children. But aha! You have not heard about how I deftly choreographed them all to help with chores today while I nursed! I had sweepers, dusters, laundry-folders and even a mopper.

And THIS is where the "swimmingly" part comes in. When I finally finished nursing C and was able to check on my little worker-bees, I nearly needed a life preserver to wade through the puddles in my kitchen. Apparently, the mop is a little difficult for a 4 year old to squeeze excess water out of. Eh. No matter. Floors are clean.

So during these first few weeks of round-the-clock nursing, I am perfecting the art of damage control. A certain amount of shenanigans goes on while I nurse, and I know full well I will have a mess to clean up later.  But except for bleeding and bodily fluids which require my immediate attention, everything else can be dealt with in approximately 10 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the first early weeks of newborn life. May God continue to shower His grace and blessings upon you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts! And I can't relate..all too well ;) lol
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops...i meant..I CAN relate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! Mine usually used nursing time to fight with each other!! -Jessie

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!!